The AHS received a call from a Keansburg resident who wanted to have deceased pet removed from her home. When the Animal Control Officer arrived, he realized something was wrong and the house was in disarray. She explained that the dog must have eaten something and died several hours earlier. The ACO approached the dog and saw that she was still breathing. He immediately took the dog to our Forked River facilities for urgent care.
Prissy is an 8 year old Pug who was completely comatose as the result of ingesting an unknown toxin. The prognosis was bleak and she remained in a comatose state for two more days. On the third day, she regained consciousness. She couldn't hold herself up and would stagger and stumble when trying to walk. Tests indicate that her liver was failing and she had also developed acute dry eye. Although it is not known what Prissy ingested, this poor girl seemed quite "drunk" for her first few weeks of treatment in our Medical Dept.
It has been a long, tough road to recovery for Prissy but finally, she is getting back to normal. Her liver function is improving now, although it is still a bit abnormal . Her dry-eye symptoms have also been resolved but her vision in one eye is quite diminished.
You would never know this by looking at Prissy now! She gets around perfectly fine and is loving life! Her condition is very manageable with a prescription diet and medications .... and with a good, loving and caring family, Prissy will thrive again.
We would not be able to treat these special needs cases that come through our doors every day without the help of generous supporters. Our Res-Q Fund was set up to treat animals in need and your donation will continue to help us to help them.
Prissy is at the AHS/Popcorn Park shelter and is extremely lovable and affectionate. She would love a fresh start in life. If you are interested in adoption, please fill out an adoption application and it would be necessary to speak with our veterinarian, Dr. Laney Baris, before an application is approved. For more information, call the Society at 609-693-1900 or e-mail us